When Should I Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
If you’ve been injured by the negligent actions of another, it can have a serious impact on your life. Physical injuries can impact both your quality of life and your ability to earn a living. Financial burdens associated with costly medical bills and lost wages from time missed at work can make it difficult to pay your bills. You may even suffer emotional trauma that has a long-term impact on your overall wellbeing.
Fortunately, you may be entitled to recover compensation for your damages in a personal injury lawsuit. In these situations, it’s natural to wonder when to hire a personal injury lawyer. Regardless of the extent of your injuries, it’s important to speak with an experienced attorney as soon as possible to ensure your rights are protected throughout every step of the process.
Why Is It Critical to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer Right Away?
In Colorado, there is a two- or three-year statute of limitations for most personal injury lawsuits. This means that you generally have two or three years from the date of the incident to file your lawsuit. Even though this may sound like a long time, its critical to hire a personal injury lawyer right away:
- Your lawyer needs to gather evidence to clearly prove the other party is liable for your damages, and it’s much easier to obtain this evidence right after the accident when witnesses clearly remember what happened and evidence at the scene is still intact.
- Your lawyer needs to provide proof of the extent of your injuries and the financial losses incurred due to these injuries, and it takes time to document this information.
- Your lawyer needs to meet all filing deadlines, and it will take time to build your case before filing your lawsuit.
- You will need to communicate with your insurance company throughout the process, and having your lawyer handle all interactions with your insurance company will help you avoid making statements that can potentially damage your ability to maximize your compensation.
Common Circumstances Where It’s Critical to Work with a Personal Injury Lawyer
If you’ve been involved in a minor fender bender where no one was injured and the only issues involve paying for vehicle repairs, you most likely don’t need the help of a lawyer. However, anytime an injury has occurred, it’s best to speak with an attorney – even if you think your injuries are very minor. Sometimes it takes time for all symptoms to develop, and working with a personal injury lawyer will ensure your rights are protected throughout the process.
In general, you should hire a personal injury lawyer in the following circumstances:
- Serious injuries have occurred – If you suffered a serious injury that requires medical treatment, it’s critical to work with a personal injury lawyer to ensure your compensation reflects the total extent of your damages, including any long-term issues that may arise due to the injury.
- Complex legal procedures – The laws governing most personal injury cases are highly complex, and it can be difficult to navigate the process if you’re unfamiliar with how these laws impact your case. Hiring a personal injury attorney who can guide you through the legal process is essential to achieving a successful outcome.
- Liability disputes – If there is any dispute over who is at fault for the accident, it’s critical to work with a personal injury lawyer who can investigate the accident and help prove the other party’s negligent actions caused your injuries.
- Insurance negotiations are required – If you’ve suffered serious injuries, you will most likely need to negotiate a settlement offer with the negligent party’s insurance. It’s important to understand that the insurance company isn’t on your side. Their goal is to minimize the amount of money they have to pay on your claim, and they will often engage in tactics that will help reduce your settlement or in some instances, even deny your claim. Working with an experienced personal injury attorney will help protect your interests and prevent these tactics from jeopardizing your compensation.
- Significant evidence is required – Often, there will be a lot of evidence to preserve after your accident. Working with a lawyer will ensure all this evidence is gathered properly. This may include photo documentation of the accident scene and your injuries, compiling statements from eyewitnesses and medical experts, and gathering any medical records and accident reports which can prove liability.
Benefits of Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer
You’ll experience a variety of benefits when you hire a personal injury lawyer to handle your claim:
- Experience – Personal injury lawyers have handled many cases similar to yours, and they understand the complex laws governing these claims. This knowledge is critical to ensuring your claim is handled properly.
- Negotiation skills – Personal injury lawyers know how to negotiate effectively with insurance companies to secure the best possible settlement for your claim.
- Maximize your compensation – Your personal injury attorney will know how to accurately calculate your damages to ensure your settlement reflects the total extent of your loss. When necessary, your attorney can bring in expert witnesses to demonstrate the full long-term financial repercussions of your injury. In fact, a study by the Insurance Research Council found that individuals who hire a personal injury lawyer receive 3.5 times higher settlement payouts on average compared to individuals who don’t work with a lawyer.
- Litigation expertise – In some instances, a settlement may not be in your best interest, and you may have to pursue your compensation in court. In the event that your case goes to trial, having legal representation from an experienced personal injury lawyer will be critical to achieving a successful outcome.
- Peace of mind – Personal injury cases can be very stressful and overwhelming. Working with a personal injury attorney will give you peace of mind that everything is being handled properly, allowing you to focus your energy on recovering from your injuries.
Pushchak Law Can Help
If you’ve suffered an injury caused by the negligent actions of another, you may be entitled to recover compensation for your damages. Pushchak Law is here to help every step of the way.
Brian Pushchak has handled hundreds of personal injury cases for individuals in the Denver area. He knows the complex laws that apply to these claims, and he will fight aggressively to help you maximize the value of your compensation.
When you work with Mr. Pushchak, you’ll benefit from our unique Informed Decisions™ Approach focused on helping you achieve the best possible outcome to your case. As part of this approach, you will always remain in control of the process. Mr. Pushchak will take as much time as needed to understand the circumstances associated with your accident and your goals for the case. He’ll answer any questions you have and discuss your rights and options in detail, recommending the best strategy to achieve your desired outcome.
After listening to Mr. Pushchak’s recommendations, you’ll have final say over the strategy used for your case. This process ensures Mr. Pushchak remains aligned with your goals every step of the way.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation. Pushchak Law serves clients in Denver and the surrounding areas of Colorado.
- Colorado Motorcycle Accident Statistics - February 15, 2024
- How Often Should I Replace My Motorcycle Helmet? - February 9, 2024
- I’ve Been Bitten by a Dog in Denver: What Do I Do? - January 29, 2024
Free Case Consultation
If you have been injured and would like to speak with one of our attorneys, take advantage of our free, no-obligation consultation. And if you have a viable case, there are no fees until we win.