Preventing Winter Slip and Fall Accidents
We’re about to enter peak snow time in Denver. Traditionally, March and April deliver the highest snowfall of any months each year. While the heavy snow fall is great for making snowmen in the yard and getting deep powder days in the mountains, it also makes for very slippery conditions on sidewalks, driveways and other outdoor walkways. This creates an increased risk of a slip and fall accident.
Slip and fall accidents can have devastating consequences, resulting serious injuries such as broken bones, back injuries, concussions, and other issues requiring extensive medical treatment. The best way to avoid one of these catastrophic injuries is to take the proper steps to prevent a slip and fall accident from occurring. We’ve created some tips to help you significantly reduce your risk of slipping and falling on an icy surface this winter.
Staying Safe on Snowy and Icy Surfaces
When walking on snowy, icy surfaces, the most important thing to remember is that you need to take your time and proceed with caution. This will be the most important step you can take to minimize your risk of a slip and fall accident.
In addition, the following tips will help you reduce this risk even further:
- Wear proper footwear – Your shoes are an important piece of safety gear when walking on snowy, icy surfaces. The right footwear will help you keep a firm footing, while inappropriate footwear can increase your chances of slipping. Boots designed for winter weather will provide the best performance on slick surfaces. Make sure your shoes have slip-resistant soles and a relatively new tread. If your shoes are worn out, consider buying a new pair for winter weather.
- Use proper walking technique – Walking on snow and ice is treacherous and requires a specific technique to ensure you maintain proper footing. Lean slightly forward, take short steps and walk as flat-footed as possible. In addition, walk slowly. Rushing on an icy walking surface is the easiest way to slip and fall.
- Watch your step – In good weather, there’s less of a need to be as focused on the conditions underneath your feet. But when the ground is snowy and icy, a wrong step can lead to a serious injury. Keep your eyes on the ground in front of you, and stay on the lookout for treacherous patches of ice. It’s also a good idea to put away your cell phone. Texting while walking is an easy way to lose focus and slip on a slick surface.
What Should I Do if I Slip and Fall on Snow or Ice?
While these steps can help reduce your chances of a slip and fall accident, there is no foolproof way to avoid tumbling on an icy surface. If you get injured in a slip and fall accident in spite of your efforts to take precautions, it’s crucial that you take the following steps after your accident:
Assess Your Injuries
Before getting up and moving on with your day, take a moment to assess any symptoms you may be experiencing. If you’re feeling significant pain in your back or neck, do not move. If you think you may have broken a bone in your leg, avoid putting pressure on it. If you feel your injuries may be very serious, call 911 and ask for emergency assistance.
Document the Accident Scene
It’s important to document the details at the accident scene before you leave. This will provide crucial evidence if you file a slip and fall lawsuit at a later date.
- Take photos of the accident scene, including any snow, ice or other safety hazards that may have contributed to your fall
- Record the names and contact information of any witnesses who can support your version of the events
- Jot down a few notes about the details of the accident, including the date, time, weather conditions, location of the accident and how the accident occurred
Report the Accident to the Property Owner
Make sure you report the accident to the property owner or business owner before leaving the scene. If the accident occurred on public property, you may need to file an incident report with the manager on duty.
Seek Medical Attention
It’s always a good idea to seek medical attention after a slip and fall accident. Certain injuries may take time to develop symptoms, and it’s crucial that you receive treatment in a timely manner. In addition, it’s important to document that your injuries were caused by the accident.
Pushchak Law Can Help
If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages. You’ll need the assistance of an experienced attorney in order to prove that your injuries were caused by the negligent actions of another. Brian Pushchak can help ensure your rights are protected every step of the way.
Mr. Pushchak has made slip and fall accidents a primary focus of his practice. He understands the complex issues associated with these claims, and he can help you hold the negligent party accountable for your damages. In addition, Mr. Pushchak works with a team of medical experts who will evaluate the severity of your injuries to ensure your damages reflect any ongoing treatment you may need down the road.
Pushchak Law is the only personal injury law firm in Denver offering an Informed Decisions Approach™ focused on ensuring you receive a fair outcome to your case. Mr. Pushchak is committed to helping you recover fully from your accident so that you can move on with your life. The best way to achieve this goal is to structure your legal strategy in a way that focuses on a fair outcome.
As part of our Informed Decisions Approach™, you’ll benefit from working with an attorney who:
- Is personally available at all times to discuss your case and answer your questions
- Truly cares about you and prioritizes your best interests throughout every step of the process
- Listens carefully to your story to understand your unique needs
- Advises you of your options and provides all information necessary to make the right decisions
When facing the crippling financial burdens associated with a slip and fall injury, you need an attorney on your side who can help you through this difficult time in your life. Mr. Pushchak will focus his energy on obtaining your compensation so that you can devote your energy toward recovering from your injuries.
Schedule a Free Consultation
Please contact us today to schedule a free consultation. Pushchak Law serves clients in Denver and throughout Colorado.
- Where Do Most Motorcycle Accidents Happen? - July 25, 2022
- Can I Get Workers’ Compensation after a Dog Bite Attack at Work? - July 5, 2022
- How to Choose the Safest Motorcycle Helmet - June 29, 2022
Free Case Evaluation
If you have been injured and would like to speak with one of our attorneys, take advantage of our free, no-obligation consultation.